Employees or their dependents covered by the New Jersey State Health Benefits Program (SHBP) who lose coverage may be able to continue health benefits coverage under COBRA.
When Benefits Coverage Ends
- If your employment ends 1st – 5th of the month: you are covered through the end of that month. Ex: employment ends October 2nd, covered through October 31st.
- If your employment ends 6th – 31st of the month: you are covered through the end of the following month. Ex: employment ends October 6th, covered through November 30th.
You may be eligible to apply for COBRA if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Cut back in working hours
- Leave of absence
- End of employment (except for gross misconduct)
- Divorce or end of partnership
- Dependent child turns age 26
- Death of the employee or retiree
2019 COBRA Rates
For information on COBRA Rates for 2019, view the Plan Year 2019 – COBRA page within New Jersey’s Division of Pensions and Benefits website.
2018 COBRA Rates
- COBRA – Medical & Prescription Plan Rates for 2018 (PDF)
- COBRA – Dental Plan Rates for 2018 (PDF)
- COBRA – Part Time Employee Rates for 2018 (PDF)
How to Apply for COBRA
- If a COBRA-qualifying event occurs, Montclair State University’s Human Resources Benefits Team will send a COBRA Notice and application via UPS mail to the address listed in Workday.
- Employees who at retirement are eligible to enroll in SHBP or SEHBP Retired Group coverage cannot enroll in COBRA.