The Office of the Provost leads all faculty and librarian talent acquisition. Please contact Mary Colon, Director, Academic Personnel Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Ken Sumner, Associate Provost of Academic Affairs, at email@example.com with any questions.
The Office of the Provost and Human Resources has prepared the following guidelines to assist hiring managers and search committees with locating pertinent information regarding the recruitment and hiring process of faculty members from position inception/approval through onboarding.
Note: These steps have been updated to reflect the new Workday Recruiting process.
A. New Position
- Prior to initiating a request for a new position via the “Create Position” process in Workday, the Department Chair or School Director must request and receive approval for a new faculty line from the Dean and Office of the Provost Office.
- The Department Chair or School Director will then initiate “Create Position” in Workday. The position will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Position and the Supplemental Guide for Creating Tenure Track (10M) and Temporary Faculty Positions in Workday.
- Once the position has been approved and if the Department Chair or School Director is ready to proceed with posting/advertising the position, the Department Chair or School Director will initiate “Create Job Requisition” in Workday. Please note the following Recruitment Plan will need to be attached. The job requisition will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Job Requisition.
- After the job requisition is approved, a Primary Recruiter is assigned and they will post the position and implement the Recruitment Plan.
B. Replacement Position
- When replacing a vacant faculty position, the Department Chair or School Director must submit a request for a faculty line to seek approval from the Dean, which will be submitted to the Office of the Provost for consideration.
- Academic departments/schools must receive an authorization to recruit from the College/School Dean and the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- If the Department Chair or School Director is replacing the position as is (same job profile, position level and range), the Department Chair or School Director will initiate “Create Job Requisition” in Workday. Please note the Recruitment Plan must be attached. The job requisition will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Job Requisition.
- After the job requisition is approved, a Primary Recruiter is assigned and they will post the position and implement the Recruitment Plan.Note: If the Department Chair or School Director needs to change the position characteristics or replace the position with a different job profile, position level, range or funding source, the Department Chair or School Director should confirm the appropriate funding with the Budget/Grant Accounting Office and contact the Classification and Compensation Office to determine if they will need to initiate Edit Position Restrictions or Create a Job Requisition.
C. Additional Considerations
- When creating a faculty job description (position announcement), include the following:
- Specific job duties and responsibilities including teaching
- Required and preferred academic credentials—specify what minimum degree is required; e.g. bachelors, masters, or doctoral
- Required and preferred job experience, if applicable; specify the required minimum number of years of experience
- Keep in mind the selected finalist must satisfy all minimum required qualifications delineated in the job description.
A. Recruitment Plan
The Department Chair or School Director completes the Recruitment Plan to provide the Primary Recruiter with advertising venues and Search Committee members.
- Human Resources will automatically post all faculty positions on the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium’s (HERC) webpage and HigherEdJobs.com.
- Additional advertising beyond HERC and HigherEdJobs is arranged by the Provost’s Office (for example, Chronicle of Higher Education, Diverse Issues in Higher Education, and Hispanic Outlook). The Department/School is encouraged to advertise in sources separately from the ones coordinated by HR and the Provost’s Office. However, the same expectations apply – broad and strategic advertising within publications that aid with attracting a qualified and diverse applicant pool.
- All advertisements must include the following notice: MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION
- Search Committees shall include individuals of diverse genders, ages, races, national origins, etc. Refer to the Montclair State University Policy on Search Committees for detailed guidance.
B. Applicants and Voluntary Self-Identification
- External applicants shall apply to open positions via Workday jobs portal link. Internal applicants shall apply to open positions by logging into Workday and searching “Find Jobs.” For further details, refer to Apply for a Job Internally.Note: Workday will prompt all applicants to complete a Job Application, including voluntary self-identification information.
- Human Resources maintains all candidate self-identification data on a confidential basis. This information is not shared with the hiring unit and is not used when assessing a candidate’s application.
C. Search Committees
- Refer to the Montclair State University Policy on Search Committees for detailed guidance.
- The hiring manager invites Human Resources to the Search Committee’s initial meeting via email invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Search Committee Chair and Search Committee Members will review applicants in Workday, establish a process for selecting candidates for interviews and conducting those interviews. For assistance with viewing and/or moving applicants within Workday, please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants (PDF) and the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Members.
Once the finalist has been identified and prior to informing a finalist they are being recommended for the position:
- The Dean and Provost/VPAA finalize salary discussions for faculty.
- After the verbal recommendation has been extended to the finalist and the finalist has verbally accepted, the Department Chair or School Director will inform the Primary Recruiter.
- The Search Committee Chair will then move the finalist to the Background Check stage in Workday. For assistance, please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants (PDF). Human Resources will provide the finalist with the Search Request Form and Disclosure Form to initiate the Background Check process.
- The Department Chair/School Director will contact the finalist to obtain all of the following:
- The finalist must submit official transcripts for all degrees conferred. These must be scanned and emailed to the Primary Recruiter; originals can be sent to the Provost’s Office for the permanent file.
- The Search Chair will upload three letters of recommendation into Workday by completing the reference check “tasks”. Please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants.
- Printed letters must be on institution letterhead.
- Recommendations received by email attachment are acceptable if they include an email signature and company logo.Note: If the finalist is an internal candidate (current Montclair State University permanent employee), they are only required to obtain one letter of recommendation from their immediate supervisor. Temporary MSU employees and Adjuncts are considered external candidates.
- After the background and reference checking process is complete and satisfactory, the Primary Recruiter will initiate the Offer Letter per the terms (rank, salary) indicated in the Dean’s recommendation memo.
- The Offer Letter will route through the approval process up to the President for final review and approval.
- After the President signs the offer letter electronically, the finalist will receive the Offer Letter in their Workday Candidate Home account for their review and electronic signature accepting the offer.
For information about onboarding of new employees for hiring managers, visit the Onboarding Employees page.
* Hiring divisions/units are not authorized to extend an offer or conditional offer to any candidate. Faculty offers are extended by the Dean after consulting with the Provost/VPAA.