Note: These steps have been updated to reflect the new Workday Recruiting process.
Human Resources has prepared the following guidelines to assist hiring managers and search committees with locating pertinent information regarding the recruitment and hiring process of managers and professional staff from position inception/approval through onboarding.
A. New Position
- Prior to initiating a request for a new position via the “Create Position” process in Workday, the hiring manager must confirm the following:
- Contact the Budget and Planning Office and/or Grant Accounting Office (if applicable) to verify authorization and funding resources for the position.
- Contact the Classification & Compensation Office to verify the appropriate classification and compensation for the position and finalize the job description.
- The hiring manager will initiate “Create Position” in Workday. The position will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Position.
- Once the position has been approved and if the hiring manager is ready to proceed with posting/advertising the position, the hiring manager will initiate “Create Job Requisition” in Workday. Please note the following Recruitment Plan will need to be attached. The job requisition will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Job Requisition.
- After the job requisition is approved, a Primary Recruiter is assigned and they will post the position.
B. Replacement Position
- If the hiring manager is replacing the vacant position as-is (same job profile, position level and range), the hiring manager will initiate “Create Job Requisition” in Workday. Please note the following Recruitment Plan must be attached. The job requisition will flow through the approval process. For assistance completing the steps, please refer to Create a Job Requisition
- After the job requisition is approved, a Primary Recruiter is assigned and they will post the position.Note: If the hiring manager is looking to change the position or replace the position with a different job profile, position level, range or funding source, the hiring manager must confirm the appropriate funding with the Budget/Grant Accounting Office and contact the Classification and Compensation Office to determine if they will need to initiate Edit Position Restrictions or Create a Job Requisition.
C. Additional Considerations
- When creating a job description, include the following:
- Specific job duties and responsibilities
- Required and preferred qualifications or academic credentials – specify what minimum degree is required; e.g. bachelors, masters, or doctoral
- Required and preferred job experience, if applicable; specify the required minimum number of years of experience.
- Keep in mind the selected finalist must satisfy all minimum required qualifications delineated in the job description.
Note: In certain extenuating circumstances, a department/unit may request to appoint someone on an interim or acting basis pending a search. Please see the Emergency or Direct Appointments section below.
A. Recruitment Plan
Hiring Managers should complete the following Recruitment Plan in order to provide information regarding advertising venues and Search Committee members.
- Human Resources will automatically post all positions on the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium’s (HERC) webpage and HigherEdJobs.com.
- When selecting advertising venues, think creatively and strategically – the goal is to cast a wide net to yield a diverse and qualified applicant pool. (Ex. professional journals and associations; college/university placement offices and academic departments; affinity-oriented professional associations; and industry-specific list serves and publications.) Please refer to the following detailed listing of suggested advertising venues. Human Resources will work with your unit to advertise in desired venues.
- All advertisements must include the following notice: MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION
- Search Committees shall include individuals of diverse genders, ages, races, national origins, etc. Refer to the Montclair State University Policy on Search Committees for detailed guidance.
B. Voluntary Self-Identification
- External applicants shall apply to open positions via the Workday jobs portal. Internal applicants shall apply to open positions by logging into Workday and searching “Find Jobs.” For further details, refer to Apply for a Job Internally.Note: Workday will prompt all applicants to complete a Job Application, including voluntary self-identification information.
- Human Resources confidentially maintains all self-identification data to aid with various reporting requirements. This information will not be shared with the hiring unit and will not be used when assessing a candidate’s application.
C. Search Committees
- Refer to the Montclair State University Policy on Search Committees for detailed guidance.
- The hiring manager invites Human Resources to the Search Committee’s initial meeting via email invitation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Search Committee Chair and Search Committee Members will review applicants in Workday and determine a process for selecting candidates for interviews and conducting those interviews. For assistance with viewing and/or moving applicants within Workday, please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants (PDF) and the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Members.
Note: At the start of the “Interview” stage, the hiring department should email email@example.com to request the position be added to the upcoming Anticipated Hires List for the Board of Trustees (BOT) meeting with a justification.
Once the finalist has been identified and prior to informing a finalist they are being recommended for the position:
- The hiring manager must email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a salary recommendation for the finalist and cc the following individuals on the email:
- The Primary Recruiter assigned to the Job Requisition
- The Compliance Office at email@example.com
Note: The Compliance Office will run an Affirmative Action Report in Workday and will review/approve the recruitment process for the overall applicant pool to ensure compliance with the University’s EEO/AA guidelines.
- After the Classification and Compensation Office has provided a salary recommendation and the Compliance Office has reviewed/approved the recruitment process for the overall applicant pool, the hiring manager will consult with the Primary Recruiter to discuss next steps in the process (i.e. proposed start date, determine how to move forward with the verbal salary discussion, etc.)
- After the verbal recommendation has been extended and the finalist has verbally accepted:
- The hiring manager will inform the Primary Recruiter of the final agreed-upon salary and start date.
- The Search Chair will then move the finalist to the Background Check stage in Workday. For assistance, please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants (PDF). Human Resources will provide the finalist with the Search Request Form and Disclosure Form to initiate the Background Check process.
- The hiring manager or search committee chair will contact the finalist to complete the reference checking process.
- External Finalist:
- Minimum of three (3) reference checks and/or letters of recommendation
- At least one of the three references must be from a former manager (meaning someone who supervised the finalist); the other two references can be from a colleague, cross-functional partner, client, previous manager, etc.
- One of references be from someone at the current employer (even if it’s someone who no longer works in the organization). However, this not a requirement; it’s a preference.
- Internal Finalist:
- One (1) reference check and/or letter of recommendation from the Current Supervisor.
- Reference Check:
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Printed letters should be on company letterhead.
- Email recommendations are acceptable and should include an email signature and company brand.
- The Search Chair will upload the reference checks and/or letters of recommendation into Workday by completing the reference check “tasks”. Please refer to the Search and Hire Process for Search Committee Chairs/Assistants (PDF) Note: If the finalist is an internal candidate (current Montclair State University permanent employee), they are only required to obtain one letter of recommendation from their immediate supervisor.
- External Finalist:
- After the background and reference checking process is complete and satisfactory, the Primary Recruiter will initiate the Offer Letter per the verbally agreed-upon terms.
- The Offer Letter will route through the approval process up to the President for final review and approval.
- After the President signs the offer letter, the finalist will receive the Offer Letter in their Workday Candidate Home account for their review and signature accepting the offer.
A. Emergency Appointments
In limited circumstances, there may be occasions when emergency appointments must be made. In such cases, the division Vice Presidents must submit a written request for an emergency appointment to the University’s EEO/AA Officer, located within Human Resources. After the request is reviewed, a recommendation will be submitted to the Vice President of Human Resources for final determination. Emergency appointments are considered temporary and, unless otherwise stipulated, ordinarily shall not exceed a one-year period, after which time a formal appointment shall be made in accordance with the above-referenced procedures.
B. Direct Appointments
In special circumstances, there may be occasions when a direct appointment must be made. In such cases, the hiring manager must confirm the positions exists in Workday. The hiring manager will then proceed with the following steps:
- Initiate Create a Job Requisition with “Direct Hire” as the reason code.
- In the “Attachments” section, upload:
- Candidate’s resume
- Justification with a detailed explanation of the rationale for bypassing the standard search process (including reasons for why conducting a standard search is either impractical under the circumstances or otherwise in the best interest of the University)
- The hiring manager will invite the candidate to complete a Voluntary Self-Identification Form, the results of which will automatically route to Human Resources. Candidates who are appointed via emergency or direct appointment must meet the vacant position’s qualifications.
Note: When considering the request, the Vice President for Human Resources and the EEO/AA Officer will ensure compliance with applicable equal opportunity and affirmative action laws and regulations.
For information about onboarding of new employees for hiring managers, visit the Onboarding Employees page.
* Hiring divisions/units are not authorized to extend an offer or conditional offer to any candidate. Faculty offers are extended by the Dean after consulting with the Provost/VPAA.