Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get my MSU ID Card?

Employees and contractors must have a CWID and paperwork fully processed through human resources 48 hours prior to processing an ID card. Check with your hiring manager or department admin to obtain your CWID.  Bring two forms of identification (mandatory one form of photo identification):

  • Valid photo driver's license
  • Passport or 1-20, J1 Visa for International classifications
  • Credit card\debit card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Military ID
  • Health insurance card

You can take a photo at the office or send them a photo.  Visit the ID Card Office website for detailed information.


Where should I park?

Employee parking varies depending on whether an employee is full-time or part-time. Please visit the Parking Services website for full details on parking, including lot information.


How do I register my vehicle?

All vehicles must be registered with Parking Services. Visit the parking portal to register your vehicle(s) and obtain a parking permit.  You must reobtain your permit every year before August 31st.


At what time and where should I report on my first day?

You should check with your hiring manager and / or your department for proper time and location.


How do I report time and/or vacation?

Workday is our human capital management system.  Here you have access to your job information, compensation, benefits information and more.  Time entry and time off is also done in Workday. 

Visit the Workday Overview to learn more about Workday, including FAQs, the Learning and Resources website.

Please check in with your department regarding vacation protocol.


What if I need help with Workday?


When do I get my first paycheck?

Time entry is required for all civil service employees, temporary and student workers in Workday.  Please review instructions on Workday learning and resources website before entering time or time off.

Employees are paid bi-weekly on Fridays. The payroll office publishes a calendar with a list of pay dates.

Employees are encouraged to use direct deposit for paychecks.  If you do not sign up for direct deposit, you will receive a pay card in the mail at the home address listed in Workday.

Log into to Workday to view and print a copy of your paystub, or access or change your personal payroll information.  You may contact Workday Service Desk at ext. 7971 option 4 for any questions about Workday.


How do I get direct deposit and when does it start?

If you did the direct deposit form when you did your I-9, your first paycheck will happen by direct deposit.

If you did not set up direct deposit when you did your I-9.  Download the Direct Deposit form, complete and bring to Human Resources office at Overlook along with a voided check or deposit slip.  For security reasons, please bring photo ID.

Payroll inputs direct deposit requests daily and is effective immediately.  However, if the form is too close to a pay date, change will occur during the next payroll cycle. If you are changing accounts or setting up additional accounts, your old information will be used.

If you do not turn in a direct deposit form, when your first paycheck with MSU is issued, you will receive a pay card in the mail to the home address listed in Workday


When am I eligible for benefits?

Benefits for full-time, non-faculty employees begin 60 days after the date of hire. Faculty should contact Marissa Ekback via email or at ext 3014, for more information on effective dates.


How do I get an email account?

Email accounts are available to faculty and staff at MSU. Your email account is automatically established and ready to use approximately 4 hours after you create your NetID.  Please follow this link to establish your NetID,

Your email address, which reads as "" can be accessed by downloading Thunderbird or by logging into using your new NetID and password.

Please refer to for further instructions.  Office of Technology service desk ext is 7971.

Am I eligible for tuition waiver or reimbursement?

Full-time administrative, professional and non-unit employees are eligible to apply for tuition reimbursement or tuition waiver. All full-time, permanent, classified employees of MSU are eligible to apply for a tuition waiver. Please see Education Benefits for further instructions and to obtain the necessary forms.


Are my children eligible to use the waiver?

The tuition waiver is available for dependents of IFPTE-195 and AFT-1904 Union employees at this time.


Am I a union employee?

Union participation depends how your position is categorized. Classified, Unclassified/Librarians and Faculty are union eligible. Managerial employees are ineligible for union participation. If you have any questions regarding union participation or eligibility, contact HR at 5293.


May I use the MSU Library?

The Library is available for use by all employees and eligible family members, at no cost. A valid ID is required. The Harry A. Sprague Library is located centrally on campus in the same building as the Cafe Diem.


What if I have a change of address after I start work?

You can update your address anytime in the Workday system.  If you need help with updating, consult the “How to update personal information” guide.


Other Sources of Information